First, lovely breakfast on the terrace of your apartment admiring the Mediterranean Sea. Then a visit to the golf course to play a few rounds with friends, and finally a trip to the beach, which is literally a few steps away... Such a picture inspires your imagination, right? No wonder that more and more people are seriously considering buying a property on the Costa del Sol.
Costa del Sol, or "Coast of the Sun", is known as one of the most popular tourist regions in Spain. Resorts and hotels scattered along the coastal area of over 160 km, picturesque beaches, endless olive plantations and groves, proximity to Gibraltar and the Sierra Nevada mountain, over 300 sunny days a year... – this is the tourist pearl, Andalusia.
No wonder that owning a property on the Costa del Sol is the dream of many people who have become “infected” with the climate of this unique coast. If you also belong to them, we have prepared for you some information that will facilitate the purchase of a property in Marbella, Estepona, Nueva Andalucia and many other charming locations.
Costa del Sol – properties in prestigious neighborhoods
Let's start with the most important, i.e. the location. Here are some of the most prestigious places to buy and rent a property on the Costa del Sol:
- Marbella - located at the foot of La Concha, the pride of the Costa del Sol, one of the most luxurious bathing areas in the Old Continent. This area is a favorite holiday destination of many stars and celebrities, but I assure you that it is possible to purchase properties in Marbella also in more affordable prices, you just need to search well.
- Puerto Banus - the famous marina located southwest of Marbella, in the Nueva Andalucia region. The small town makes a great impression not only because of the beautiful views, but also the presence of luxurious yachts, numerous hotels and shops.
- Benahavis - a small white village located a few kilometers from the coast, between Marbella and Estepona. Ideal location for those who would like to combine the proximity of the sea with a more mountainous landscape and delicious food, as Benahavis proudly bears the title "Rincon Gastronomico de España".
- Estepona - a city located just over 30 km from Marbella and less than 100 km from Malaga. An increasingly popular resort, which additionally tempts with interesting architecture of the town itself.
If you're interested in buying a property, here are the average prices per square meter in these and other popular locations on the Costa del Sol (data collected during the first week of July):
- Puerto Banus - 5,000€,
- Nueva Andalucia - 4.700€,
- Benahavis - 4.200€,
- Marbella - 4.100€,
- Fuengirola - 3.300€,
- Estepona - 3.100€,
- Torremolinos - 2.700€,
- Benalmadena - 2.600€,
- Mijas - 2.400€,
- Sotogrande - 2.200€.
Costa del Sol offers deals for each wallet
Of course, these are only average amounts as there are many factors influencing the valuation. The distance from the coast, the technical condition of the property, the standard of equipment, the vicinity, the proximity of other tourist attractions - these and other factors make the price range for sale wide.
Let's look at Estepona and two-bedroom apartments. For example, a 127-meter apartment in the first line of Playa del Cristo beach, costs 895.000€ (7,000 per sqm), but if 10 minutes’ drive by car to the beach is not a problem for you, you will pay about 320,000€ for a 99-meter apartment with terraces (3.200€ per sqm). In turn, a 93-meter apartment overlooking the golf courses and the sea (but 3 km from the beach), can be purchased for 247.000. (2.700€ per sqm). As you can see, looking for a property on the Costa del Sol, you can find proposals that suit different budgets and requirements.
It is also worth noting that if you want a good sea view, you don't necessarily have to buy a property right next to the beach. This is due to the specific landform: due to the short distance of the mountains from the coast, Costa del Sol provides great sea views not only from the first beach line.
Properties on sunny (and blue) beaches
However, it is worth stopping by the beaches for a moment, because buying properties on the Costa del Sol combines with them like rice and saffron with the famous Spanish paella.
125 - this number is mentioned most often when talking about beaches on the "Coast of the Sun". Huge selection, it is difficult to indicate the best and most beautiful beaches, but an important determinant is the so-called "blue flag". It is a title awarded by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE), and in Spain by the member organization Asociacion de Educacion Ambiental y del Consumidor (ADEAC). The beaches are assessed here, among others in terms of safety, water quality, hygiene and sanitation. In 2019, the "blue flag" fluttered on seventeen beaches of the Costa del Sol:
- Marbella – Guadalmina / San Pedro, Faro, Casablanca;
- Mijas – La Cala, El Bombo, Calahonda;
- Benalmadena – Fuente de la Salud, Torrebermeja-Santa Ana;
- Velez-Malaga – Benajarafe, Torre del Mar, La Caleta Paso;
- Estepona – El Cristo, Arroyo Vaquero;
- Fuengirola – Carvajal;
- Algarrobo – Algarrobo Costa;
- Torrox – Ferrara;
- Casares – Playa Ancha.
It is worth knowing that Spain is the leader when it comes to the number of awarded "blue flags". Currently, as many as 590 beaches across the country have such a status. Currently also Greece (497) and Turkey (486) are on the world podium.
Golf and real estate on the Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol also gives you the opportunity to buy or rent a property at the same time by the sea and at the golf course. It is no coincidence that I recall this, because we are talking about a golfers' paradise. The popular name of Costa del Golf says it probably all (by the way, you can play golf here all year round, thanks to the Mediterranean climate).
Nowhere else in Europe is there such a concentration of golf courses as here: according to some sources, there are now more than 70 courses between Sotogrande and Torre del Mar on the eastern Costa del Sol, more than half of which are in the immediate vicinity of the beach and the sea.
The Costa del Sol is therefore also a region of apartments and houses ideal for golf enthusiasts. If you also belong to them, we invite you to check our offer. There you will find golf properties in Marbella, Estepona, Nueva Andalucia, Mijas and Benahavis. We wish you accuracy not only on the golf course, but also while choosing your dream property!